Patience, the powerful character trait

by - May 20, 2017


Growing up, I was told countless times to be patient and slow down. Whether it was my dad telling me to speak slower, or my mom yelling at me for eating too fast. But as a naturally impatient person I am, I always want to get things over with as soon as possible. I would feel so annoyed whenever people got in my way. I could never stand to wait more than a few minutes before feeling irritated at how long they were taking. Thoughts like "Why is this so slow?", "Why can't this be faster?" or "What's next?" are more than familiar to me.

What is patience? I like to start with the dictionary. "Patience: the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, difficulty, or annoyance without getting angry or upset." Patience is one of the most interesting traits a human can possess. While we are waiting for something, we go through so many cycles of emotions. We are perhaps angry for waiting too long, annoyed, frustrated, impatient, breaching insanity... I cannot recall a single day in my own life when at least one of them did not make an appearance. 

All the while not understanding the valuable lessons behind what we are waiting for. While we wait, there is this maturity and understanding that goes along with preparing us for what we want, and what we are waiting for. There is this sense of calmness that bestows us and trains us to be more patient, to be patient better, to appreciate patience and what it reaps. When we spend our time contemplating how long we have been patient and the fact that we have been patient, it takes away from us actually being patient. To be patient is not just to wait. It's not just to remain quiet. It's not just to abstain from complaining. Being patient is putting your trust in Allah. It's expecting that what you are waiting for is good for you, it's to know that you just may not get what it is you're waiting for; but you will get what's best for you.


Patience trains you and teaches you to place your trust in Allah. It teaches you that all these extra-curricular emotions of anger and frustration and annoyance only take away from the value of patience. They take away from your sanity. They take away from your trust in Allah.

Tawakkal. Place your trust in Allah. That is patience. Patience is trust. We can transform impatience into patience. It's well-worth the effort because being patient is a way of treating ourselves with compassion and it also helps us calmly accept things as they are... and that, always feels good. I hope you found this entry helpful in cultivating the virtue of patience. Know that patience is already inside you. You don't have to intentionally enforce it on yourself. What you should do is to address the broken beliefs that are making you impatient. When you do that, patience will become effortless virtue. One step at a time. Measurable progress. A little bit of patience can go a long way.
Image via Google

You May Also Like

19 comments

  1. The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience is a pillar of iman, but indeed to achieve the real value of patience sometimes is hard to do huhu.. salam ukhwah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All things are difficult before they become easy. Salam ukhuwah juga :)

      Delete
  3. True indeed. I agree with you. It's already inside us and we just need to cultivate it and be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this thoughtful article. :')

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing this article. I surely need a lot of patience for the time being. At least it comforts me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good sharing. Thanks a lot panphila.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good sharing dear.. tak jmpa button follow..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Button untuk follow Google+ and Facebook ada di sebelah kanan, dear.

      Delete
  8. nice sharing :)
    orang update entry english ni taktahu nak comment apa dah. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alamak. Not that I suck in writing in Malay, cuma... ayat tu secara tidak langsung jadi sangat skema.

      Delete
  9. This article struck me in right in the kokoro (heart) lol mainly because I'm being impatient because I still didn't receive any call for job but I just have to be patience. Sabar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kerana itu... ia menjadi sebahagian drpd keimanan seseorg...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sabar Itu Separuh Daripada Iman..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do sometime have these kind of thoughts in my mind during waiting, not in exact words but just the calmness and serenity in being patience. Trusting Him that everything goes well and that patience is such a virtue to spend effort on. I like how you have it explained so well in words. Like "While we wait, there is this maturity and understanding that goes along with preparing us for what we want, and what we are waiting for" - totally agreed.

    Cheers to always be patience!

    // afifahaddnan

    ReplyDelete
  13. im not the type of patience..always rush,impatient dan clumsy..day by day,i learn to become more patient and rileks person.thanks for this entry..

    ReplyDelete

Home