Momtastic: No one told me pooping after c-section can be brutal

by - May 15, 2017



I had survived the first poop post c-section and lived to tell the tale.

Here is the story...Before I had kids, my close friends loved to fill my head with horror stories about childbirth and life after having a baby. But none of them mentioned what it's like to poop after you've had a C-section. Your abs have been split open and sewn back together and this causes a problem when you have to strain to push a rock out of a hole the size of a Brussels sprout. Seriously, it can be brutal for many women. It is just as hard if you have a C-section as it is if you have vaginal birth. Really, taking a satisfying dump was not something I thought about often before my pregnancy... I was not prepared for hell. Why would I? Because I was more concerned about being able to nurse and take care of a new baby. But I was wrong!

When your bowels have been out of commission for a week...I'm sure you can imagine what your first poop is going to be like - it's like giving a second child. My first post-birth poop came about a week after I had my surgery. Fast and furious, my intestines squeezed and twisted as they tried valiantly to push stones as hard as coal through my gut. Literally, a soda can sized and shaped poo came out of me. I thought I was legitimately going to die - it left me with a level 4 anal tear. Then the toilet clogged because of my crazy giant deuce and I tried to plunge it (my husband and I still joke about me clogging the toilet with the first brick). I remember feeling shaky, sweaty, trembling mess, crying with half-numb legs and proclaimed, "I did it! I finally did it!" Sweet release. So glad that it was done. It felt like I was pooping glass. That was a special form of torture. No one ever offered me stool softeners... and it didn't happen once but I had trouble going for few weeks until my body return to normal.

And that's motherhood in a nutshell.

To all soon-to-be mothers, you need to prepared for those after-birth gems. Your Hershey highway is about to have a colossal traffic jam. If you had an emergency C-section (like me), you may have had a few anal fissures or hemorrhoids that can make going a serious major pain. It can be very painful for quite some time until you finish healing. Is there anything you can do about it? Yes, thankfully.

  1. Take your post-op medication  - use it. But of all things, make sure the stool softener is at the top of your list.
  2. Do not do it alone. As uncomfortable as it may be, wait until someone else is in the house with you to attempt your first poop. There is a good chance the baby is going to wake up and no one tend to the little one while you take care of business.
  3. Eat the right foods and stay hydrated. Stick to fruits and vegetables. Your body needs all the vitamins and nutrients it can get right now. Oh, and eat prunes because it helps to alleviate constipation after a cesarean delivery.
  4. Move. I know, it is the last thing we feel like doing. But according to the doctor, moving around restores circulation, helping to pass gas and move food down the pike. If it hurts too much to walk, ask for more pain relief.

Every mom has endured that gritty, painful first poop after a C-section. You're not alone and you will get through it. When friends ask me what it is like to have a C-section, I tell them that the recovery is no picnic and that they should really hope for a vaginal birth. But honestly, it's not the worst thing. There are a couple of advantages, namely no episiotomy pain and a few more days in the hospital before you're on your own with a newborn, haa! Anyways...when you look at your baby, it doesn't matter how he came into this world... just that he's here and he's healthy.
Image via Google

You May Also Like

28 comments

  1. Pregnancy sounds scary. Mothers are the best because giving birth is hard but they never complain about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, indeed. When I found out that I was pregnant, I felt scared and terrified I won't be able to cope. I cannot to summon any excitement or happiness about what's ahead. And felt terrible for that. But it passed.

      Delete
  2. first pooping after giving birth to my only child also be the hardest thing in my life. Always got scared but always be remind by my sister about this pooping matters. She said, buy some 'thing'at pharmacy to melt the poop. So that the poops will be easier to flow out. haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how much stool softener, fibers and pain medicine you take, it's still going to hurt like hell, just as I did my husband during my after-delivery potty sessions.

      It works for some people, not others :<

      Delete
  3. nak membuang pun rasa tak senang.. besar pengorbanan ibu yg melahirkan anak. semasa mengandung sakit, melahirkan sakit, selepas melahirkan pun sakit juga T__T

    salute to all moms out there, and of course my mom as well <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betul tu, Mazni. Begitu besar sekali pengorbanan dan perjuangan seorang ibu dalam mengandung dan melahirkan anak ke dunia. Rela berkorban dan mempertaruhkan nyawa demi melahirkan seorang khalifah.

      Delete
  4. Salam Nisa...tahniah dah jadi mummy. saya belum ada rezki lagi.but sokkay, Im good... still and will remainly +ve with Allah fate. Insyaallah. Sorry baru found ur site..so baru nak selak2 ... salam kenal nisa..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waalaykumussalam, Aishah. Terima kasih for the wish. Alhamdulillah, rezqi anak datang awal buat kami berdua. Tak mengapa Aishah sekiranya rezqi datang lewat sedikit, tetapi bersyukur punya suami dan keluarga yang penyabar. InshaAllah, I will pray for both of you, semoga dikurniakan anak yang comel-comel dan juga soleh solehah.

      Delete
  5. omg, that sound horrible and even worse that you didn't even know about stool softener. You are such a strong woman. Moms are literally the best at everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. It showed that I didn't do my research before labor, haha.

      Delete
  6. Congrats! I have gone through scary moment too during my 2nd child eventhough I deliver him normal but when come to pooping time..hadoiii its scary but thinking of it...Ya Allah what a such experience! and Alhamdulillah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the wish, kak Fuzy. I cannot imagine the pain, especially if you had stitches or a tear at your perineum area.

      Delete
  7. Salam perkenalan...
    Alhamdulillah...tahniah dah jadi mummy..

    ReplyDelete
  8. U've remind me of my scary pooping experience after i delivered my first baby..so scary i tell u..huwaaaaa..xnk dh rase dh..seksa!..sobsss..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the moment when you thought the hard part was over, but no. The first poop after baby is never the best dump you will ever take. The 'gold' tore me up so badly while making it grand entrance.

      Delete
  9. Tahniah dah jadi mummy... Saya punya experience lepas c-sect tak macam tu. Alhamdulillah semua ok.. Only the first pee after cabut tiub... so perit... My next delivery pulak through SVD.. Nak berak itu la the scariest part.. Keluar peluh jantan betina..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terima kasih atas ucapan <3

      Alhamdulillah, Syani tak pernah melalui pengalaman perit waktu membuang hadas besar. Eh, lain pula dengan Nisa. Waktu nurse masukkan dan tanggalkan urine catheter, memang tiada rasa apa-apa. Tengok-tengok, dah fully equipped. Tiada juga masalah membuang air kecil.

      Haha the scariest part is only when you feel tense while pooping, pulak tu ada stitches or tear. Fuh!

      Delete
  10. tahniah dah jadi seorg ibu...selalu jg sy dgr cerita yg berkaitan mcm ni... x dpt nk di byg kn mcm mn laa sy nnt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terima kasih, Anies. Some people have no issues with post-partum poop. Hope when it's your time, you won't have to experience it.

      Delete
  11. Salam Kenal Nisa....
    Tahniah ye....
    Hakak 3 - 3 C Section. Biasalah hanya Allah aje yg tahu sakitnya. Sakit bukan masa bersalin, tp selepas bersalin. First time nak berdiri tu. Aduhhh teringat ingat sakitnya sampai sekarang.

    Itulah perjuangan kita sebagai seorang ibu namanya.... chewahhh hihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terima kasih, kak Hainom.

      Oh my Allah, I can relate to your pain. When I got out from the operation room, duduk bersebelahan dengan kakak yang experienced c-section juga. She taught me bagaimana nak bangun daripada katil. But I had a hard time doing so. Almost gave up, tapi nak kencing punya pasal, gigihkan juga.

      Delete
  12. akk kan nak kuar spital pya pasal sanggup tipu doc..doc saya dah berak..selagi hang x berak x leh kuar spital tau..scary nak berak kui3x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA, akak bersalin di hospital mana? Kejam sungguh!

      Delete
  13. besar pengorbanan seorang ibu....

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all, congrats for being a mother ^_^ It's such a wonderful experience to hold your baby for the first time, right? And then...come all the pains ^_^

    I was like you; so afraid of being pregnant because I don't think I can endure the pain and with all the 'horror stories'. And, I experienced both - the vaginal birth & C-section. But Alhamdulillah, I had no 'horror stories' to tell others. Everything went smoothly, Alhamdulillah! I am the lucky one maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seksa owh.. Ngeri nak bayangkan.. walaupun operate yang kecikpun sangat mendebarkan bila nak membuang, inikan pula baru lepas operate beranak.. Serius ngeri..

    ReplyDelete

Home